The picture above was taken in the early thirties, a little piece of Mason History. The station, cafe and garage, were located on the Fredericksburg Highway (Hwy. 87 south), where the Don Lewis Garage was located. Built and owned by Sam and Emma Walker, (deceased parents of Gayle Walker Bartlett). The business was well known in the early and mid thirties. If a certain auto part was needed and couldn't be found, one would go the Walker Garage. If he didn't have it, Sam Walker would make the part himself.
Several of the Walker families and their friends had been coming to Mason County deer hunting for many years, spending six weeks out of each year camping on the Pat Rodgers' place on Honey Creek, about 8 miles Southwest of Mason. It was after one of these trips to Mason that Sam and Emma Walker decided to move to Mason and make it their home. The West Texas Walkers continued to come to Mason hunting for 22 years.
Having lived in West Texas all their lives, farming the lands, facing the sand storms and droughts, it didn't take Sam long to know he was not cut out to be a farmer like the rest of his family. He and Emma moved to Mason County sometime after they were married in 1922. They built their home, station, and garage. Later the cafe was built, connecting the station and garage.
In the mid-forties the Walkers sold the business. Sam bought a cattle truck and started a hauling business at which he worked until his death 1945. Emma was an LVN at the Mason Memorial Hospital for over 15 years until her death in 1958.
In the mid and late twenties, Highway 87 South was nothing more than what we now call a "farm to market" road. When the new highway was built, rock, cliche and dirt were brought in to make the land on each side of the road level with the highway. While doing some repair work on the front yard fence at the house, which was better known as "Stage Stop Restaurant", or the late "Pat Roger Home" owned by Ruth Eckert at that time, she and her sons uncovered another sidewalk several feet down directly under the now present sidewalk. With loads and loads of rock, cliche and dirt, eventually the ground was level enough to construct the homes which are now located on the north side of the highway where the Walker Garage was located.
Those pictures, two young boys on far left are unidentified, Sam Walker, owner, the Larsons, who ran the café, and Herman (Bud) Porter, brother-in-law to Sam Walker.
A larger version of the above picture is hanging on the wall in the City Office if anyone would like to check it out.