Here are a couple of my favorite recipes from the Healthy Cooking school this week in Brownwood that I will be helping demonstrate at. These recipes are light and flavorful, perfect for getting ready for summertime!! Throw some lean beef, pork, or chicken on the grill to serve with it and you have a complete meal.
Jicama Slaw with Jalapeño Dressing
• 2 cups peeled jicama, cut into matchstick strips
• 1 1/2 cups orange, yellow, or green bell peppers, cut into matchstick strips
• 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 package shredded cabbage
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
• 1 small, fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• Pinch salt
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• In a large salad bowl, combine jicama, peppers, and onions.
• Combine all the jalapeño dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well. Pour the dressing over the jicama mixture. Toss to coat.
• Cover and chill for 1 hour or up to 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve on a bed of shredded cabbage.
Notes: Use purple cabbage if you can find it- it has many more nutrients and will be much prettier. I like to make another batch of the dressing and put it on the slaw too! I like it spicy so I add an extra jalapeno or two.
Nutrition facts per serving: 120 calories, 9g total fat, 10mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 10g total carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 1g protein
Easy Pineapple Cake
• Vegetable oil cooking spray
• 1 box angel food cake mix
• 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 by 13-inch pan with cooking spray.
• Combine cake mix and pineapple (with juice) and pour into the pan.
• Bake for 30 minutes.
Nutrition facts per serving: 150 calories, 0g total fat, 170mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 36g total carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 4g protein