Our Dinner Tonight! Healthy Cooking School in Brownwood was a success. I got to taste many of the recipes, and here are 2 more of my favorites. This guacamole was SO good, and I could not taste the “secret” ingredients at all! I am going to try it with even more peas- it just made the mixture thicker but didn’t affect the taste one bit. People were eating it with a spoon when they ran out of chips! The pie tastes light and refreshing, not too sweet or heavy. You can find more Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Dinner Tonight! Recipes at this website, and they even have demonstration videos to go with them: http://healthyliving.tamu.edu/dinners. The recipes are all aimed at busy families, are healthy and delicious, and can be prepared in 30 minutes or less!
• 3 avocados
• 1/2 cup frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
• 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1 medium tomato, diced
• 1/2 cup onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
• 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• Salt and pepper
• Scoop avocado flesh into a bowl.
• Add black-eyed peas, peas, lime juice, tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño, and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Blend or process until smooth or desired consistency.
Nutrition facts per 2 tablespoons: 40 calories, 3g total fat, 40mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 3g total carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 1g protein
Yogurt Key Lime Pie
• 2 tablespoons cold water
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
• 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
• 3 containers (6 ounces each) Key lime pie yogurt
• 1/2 cup frozen (thawed) reduced-fat whipped topping
• 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
• 1 reduced-fat graham cracker crust (6 ounce)
• In a 1-quart saucepan, mix water and lime juice. Sprinkle gelatin on the lime juice mixture; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved. Cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
• In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add yogurt and the lime juice mixture; beat on low speed until well blended.
• Fold in whipped topping and lime peel. Pour into the crust. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
Nutrition facts per serving: 170 calories, 6g total fat, 260mg sodium, 5mg cholesterol, 24g total carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 5g protein