The 150th birthday celebration of Harper kicks off on June 15 in the town on U.S. Highway 290, 24 miles west of Fredericksburg in Gillespie County. Events start at 8 a.m. in Harper Community Park with a COWBOY BREAKFAST (donation only) followed by a PARADE beginning at 10 a.m.
Harper was founded as a Confederate town in 1863, and as such, the parade will be led by The Sons of Confederate Veterans Chapter of Fredericksburg Lone Star Rifles Color Guard. They will also perform a Civil War cannon salute in the Park at 2 p.m.
EVENTS taking place IN THE PARK for the day include:
11:00 Music at the pavilion by Scott Hoffman’s Classic Country Connection - Music Also Frank Taylor, Clay Barton and others.
11:30 Beard contest registration; full, partial, mustache (judging at 12:30) Beard
12:30 42 Tournament 1:00-3:00 pm, registration 12:30
First and second place prizes - sets of dominoes
3:00 Washer Pitchen’
3:00 Extreme “Pinewood Derby” (small vehicle race with very few rules)
Contact Michael McMahon at 830-343-7317)
5:00 Dutch Oven Cooking Contest - cooks meeting at 9 a.m. (main dish, bread, dessert
Dutch Oven categories with prizes awarded per division, junior and senior level. Contest details on website, also McMahon at 830-343-7317)
EXHIBITS will include:
• Spinning and quilt making demonstrations and quilt display Quilt
• Antique toys
• Antique cars and machinery
• Flint knapping with 60 minute DVD by Carry Voss, Ph.D
• Creative cooking herbs and spices, pottery HANDCRAFT and ART: booths will sell wood sculpture, silver and semiprecious stone jewelry; colorful nature, animal, and scenic photography on paper, canvas and matted fine art paper. There will be water color prints of horses, carved candles, broken china jewelry, knives, outrageous hats, soaps, handmade angora goat yarn and crafts.
CONTINUING ALL DAY GOOD STUFF:
• Pioneer Museum (historic and prehistoric) will be open all day for tours
• HERE’S HARPER history books will be sold as well as other books by local authors. An illustrated children’s book author will be present with her pony.
• OLD TIME PHOTOGRAPHER, Charlie Hooper will photograph you and your kin in cowboy, gunslinger and Southern belle costumes he provides. Photo to frame in 5 minutes.
• CHILDREN’S GAMES throughout the day such as stick horse and sack races.
SCRUMPTIOUS FOOD and DRINK
Chill out with a cold beer or saved ice, or fruit smoothies from the Big Bamboo BAR FOOD VENDORS such as Buzzy’s Bar BQ, Specialty Catering, chicken fried steak, corny dogs, kettle corn, ice cream.
9:00 p.m. - 1 a.m. at the Community Hall - Sponsored by Headwaters Saloon Music by The New Age Out-Lawz
RAFFLE IN THE PARK
• KNIFE-laser etched, camel bone handled, “Harper 150 Years” commemorative by Terry Wolle
• COLT RIFLE - Large ring Lever action 45 Long Colt, trapper model carbine, engraved by Terry Theis
SILENT AUCTION IN THE PARK
James Avery Jewelry
Fred Mosel Painting
Silpada Designs Jewelry
Baskets, oversized, diverse and superlative
Come for a refreshing, food and fun filled Saturday in the HARPER COMMUNITY PARK.
Feel the rejuvenated community spirit of old timers and newcomers.
Visit the much celebrated Harper School
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for a school tour and Student Council produced power point, “ A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A HARPER STUDENT”
Admire the big new Harper Library and Resale Shop
THE PAST IS SMILING, THE FUTURE IS CALLING SEE YOU THERE!