The annual board meeting of Gooch Cemetery was held recently with all board members present and four visitors who voiced suggestions and/or concerns.
One of the main topics of discussion was upkeep and maintainence of the grounds in both old and new Gooch. Extended drought conditions along with watering restrictions have definitely taken a toll on the overall condition of the grounds. All those present at the meeting were reminded that each one of us can help the caretaker with general maintainence by following cemetery guidelines which were published in this paper last year, and are being published again in this week’s news.
Another topic of discussion was “perpetual care." It was the intention of the original board members of Gooch Cemetery to establish “perpetual care” so both old and new Gooch would be well-manicured and be a source of pride to the community. The present board strives to oversee the maintenance and care of the grounds to the satisfaction of all concerned but there are guidelines to be followed and logic used when considering the reasonable maintenance of these two cemeteries.
If you have questions, concerns and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact a cemetery board member.
Also, if you are interested in serving on the cemetery board in the future, please notify board president, Curtis Schulze, as vacancies do occur periodically.
Gooch Cemetery Guidelines
1. Floral arrangements accompanying the casket or urn at the time of burial can be placed on the completed grave.
2. Please limit your gravesite arrangements to two arrangements for casketed sites.
3. Fresh cut flowers may be placed on graves throughout the year. They will be removed as soon as they become unsightly.
4. Faded and unsightly floral items will be removed from graves.
5. Artificial flowers are acceptable and will be removed when they become unsightly.
6. Plantings are not permitted at any time.
7. Floral items and other types of decorations can not be secured or adhered to headstones or markers at any time.
8. Statues, vigil lights fencing or border, breakable objects of any nature, alcoholic beverages, items of high value (personal or monetary), any adornment considered offensive, photos and similar commemorative items are not permitted on graves at any time. These items will be removed.
**These regulations may be changed or updated without prior notification.