The Hilda Church is one of the oldest congregations in Mason County. What began as a congregation of about ten people in an 1856 outdoors gathering in the Beaver Creek community, has grown into an active congregation consisting of descendants of the original ten and many newcomers to the area. In the early days there were no church buildings for worship services, and the Methodist church did not supply funds or support constructing any facilities. So, the families gathered outdoors for worship for five years while making plans to build a church.
The current little church in the wildwood has revived the tradition of meeting outdoors. What began in 2012 as an experiment in getting in touch with our heritage is becoming an annual event. On the afternoon ofOctober 13th, Hilda UMC will host their second annual Old-Fashioned Camp Meeting. The service will begin with a time of gathering and fellowship around 4:00 with activities for children, a silent auction that will include an original oil painting of the church by Rev. Wade Powell, one of the original church windows, a James Avery “I am the Vine” cross with a lavender amethyst on a 20” Light Spiga Chain, a Mason County clear, star-cut topaz (2.5 carats), and more items. Around 5:00 we will hold an outdoor worship service highlighted by Gospel singing, accompanied by some of the best Christian musicians in the area. At 6:00 we will serve barbecue by donation with funds going to pay for the new fellowship hall.
Coming to the Hilda UMC is like stepping back in time while still enjoying the progress inspired by the church founders and guided by the Holy Spirit. The church campus still features two of the Sunday Houses that are currently used for children and youth activities, the old parsonage built in 1900 (now the current fellowship hall and church office), the spring house where early pastors kept their dairy products, and the milk cow barn.
Directions to the Hilda Church from Mason are as follows: Take Highway 87 south toward Fredericksburg for about 10 miles. Turn right onto Ranch Road 783. Continue for approximately four miles. Then turn left on Loeffler Lane and proceed a short distance to the church. For more information visit the church website atwww.hildaumc.org.