Create a tasty casserole dish from simple foods. Just choose an item from each category and follow the directions. Use your imagination! Each casserole serves four adults. I love this handout I came across from Utah State University Extension. Email me at email@example.com for a copy and I’ll email you the pdf or print you out one. This is the kind of cooking I like to do- cooking from what’s on hand. It makes for some interesting combinations. One word of advice- write down exactly what ingredients you use, so if the recipe is a hit you know how to recreate it!
Choose one starch
• Brown Rice: 1 cup rice, 2 cups water: Combine rice and water. Bring to boil. Turn heat to low and cover pan with lid. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
• Whole grain pasta or noodles: 2 cups pasta or 3 cups noodles, 6 cups water: Heat water until it boils. Stir in pasta or noodles. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Look on the package for specific instructions.
• Potatoes: 3 cups diced potatoes, 6 cups water. Heat water until it boils. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
• Whole grain tortilla: Flour or corn.
Choose one protein
• 1 (15 oz.) can or 2 cups cooked dried beans or lentils (pinto, black, white, kidney, etc.)
• ½ pound cooked ground beef
• 1½ cups cooked and diced chicken, turkey, ham, beef, fish, or pork
• 2 cups chopped hard-boiled eggs
• 1 (6-8 oz.) can beef, chicken, tuna, salmon, or other fish
• 1 (12-16 oz.) package extra firm tofu, drained
Choose one to three vegetables: Broccoli, carrots, corn, green beans, peas, squash, mixed veggies
• 2 cups fresh vegetables, cooked
• 1-2 (15 oz.) canned vegetables
• 2 cups frozen vegetables, cooked
Choose one sauce
• 1 (10 oz.) can soup (cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of celery, tomato, cheese, etc.)
• 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
Mix cornstarch or flour into cold water with fork. Make sure you have no lumps. Slowly add mixture to boiling stock, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and continue to cook and stir with whisk until thickened.
• 2 cups gravy:
2 tablespoons cornstarch OR 4 tablespoons flour
¼ cup COLD water
2 cups HOT chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
Choose one or more flavors
• ½ cup chopped onion, celery, green pepper, or salsa
• ¼ cup sliced black olives
• 1 - 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• Cook onion, garlic, celery, and peppers in small amount of water or broth
• 1 - 2 teaspoons dried herbs (oregano, basil, cumin, chili powder, thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.)
• Salt and pepper to taste
You can change the taste of basic ingredients in your dish simply by changing the herbs and spices you use. For instance, use these herbs and spices to get these flavors:
Mexican-use cumin, oregano, chili powder, cilantro, and garlic
Italian-use basil, oregano, parsley, and garlic
Asian-use soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chiles, and turmeric
Savory/Thanksgiving-use rosemary, sage, thyme, and parsley
Choose one or more topping (optional)
• ¼ cup breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, ¼ cup grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
Select a food from each category or use your own favorites. Combine all ingredients except toppings in a 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350? F until bubbly (30-45 minutes). Add toppings and return to oven for about 10 minutes.