Spring comes as a welcome change after this unusual winter. It also heralds the 2014 Tour of Homes held by the Mason County Republican Women. Saturday, April 12th brings the opportunity to visit six homes owned by gracious homeowners who will assist the MCRW in raising scholarship funds for some worthy Mason graduates.
Tickets will go on sale the week of the Tour at Market Square, and also will be available at each home on April 12th. Tickets will be $10.00 each, and directions to the homes will be provided with each purchase.
This article will include information on the three homes in town, and next week’s article will discuss the three homes located west of Mason which are part of this 28th annual Tour of Homes.
Our first home has been in the Koock family for generations. Built in the 1930’s by William Karl (Kookie) Koock, it is currently occupied by his great-grandson, Hunter Wenzel and his wife, Demetra. The flagstone exterior home is located at 305 Smith Street.
The Koock’s original house, built of the native stone, is in back of the current home. The Wenzels have plans to make it their guest house.
The Wenzels have remodeled the older part of the 1930’s house, removing walls and creating a large area consisting of a living room, dining room, and a well equipped kitchen. The flooring of “Tobacco Road” teak is used throughout.
An office area transitions into the newer part of the home which includes the master suite with a large bath and a closet/dressing room any woman could admire.
The Wenzels have plans for more remodeling in the future and have said they will invite us back at some future date.
Another house which had undergone a major remodel and expansion is the home of James Kelly and Mona Lois Schmidt at the corner of College and Reagan Streets. It could be referred to as the ultimate split-level home. The visitor’s challenge is to count all the levels.
Terry Hooten built the original house for his family in the early 1970’s. In the remodel and additions, the Schmidts have used Saltillo-style ceramic tile flooring appropriate for this Spanish style home. Many of the new light fixtures were designed and built by Lamplight Design, a Mason business.
Featured in the home is a self contained apartment which the Fridays, the maternal grandparents, use when they are in Mason. There are two wings upstairs, one which includes the master suite and daughters’ bedrooms while the other has rooms for the sons. The basement houses a game room.
Several balconies and patios enhance the outside of this home. One covered patio leads to the pool area, a perfect setting for family and friends to relax.
The final in-town house at 105 Rainey Street also is a remodeled older home. This house has a definite masculine flair since the current owner is a bachelor, Trey Curtis.
Built in the mid 1930’s, the original homeowner was Milton Loeffler who always said that the house was built by current FHA “specs”. A family member mentioned that those specs did not include insulation in those days. The rock used on the exterior of the house was taken from the James River area.
It is uncertain when the remodeling was done, but it was brought up to current “specs” with an attractive modern bath and kitchen. The original oak floors were kept in the remodel. From the back windows a wellhouse and a windmill can be seen, giving evidence of the past history of the quaint home.
We hope you will save part of the day on April 12, to join with these homeowners in supporting this event to provide scholarships. Watch for the article on the out-of –town houses next week.