There were 110+ people in attendance at the Peter’s Prairie School historical marker dedication. A ceremony was held to honor the 93 year old educational institution and all the students who received an education there.
Mason Boy Scout Troop 281, guided by troop leader Sheri Jordan, raised the flag and led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance. It is believed that this is the first time the flag has been raised at the school since 1946.
District Judge Rob Hofmann opened with a prayer and warm welcome that emphasized the importance of education and the heritage of the surrounding rural community. His accolades and kind words about the legacy of the school and what it meant to the original settlers of the community, what it means to current residents and descendants, and what it will mean to future generations, brought tears to many.
Jan Appleby, with the Mason County Historical Commission, spoke to the group about the hard work, time, and effort that went into obtaining the marker for the school. Former students, Frances Kruse Bode and Kelly Schmidt, carried out the official unveiling of the marker and presented it to the crowd. Laura Tallent, also with the Mason County Historical Commission, read the wording on the marker.
BH Nobles closed the ceremony and dismissed the guests to move inside for refreshments, viewing memorabilia, socializing, and some picture taking.
We were fortunate to have 11 former students attend the ceremony and partake in the festivities. Having them present made the day complete. They were: Aloise Eckert Kuykendall, Lorine Kasper Metz, Doris Kasper Grote, Jean Hofmann Stengel, Viletha Surber Cooper, Kelly Schmidt, Frances Kruse Bode, Lola Kruse Hohn, Pearline Kruse Segars, Wilma Probst Dehnel, and Pat Probst.