Mason County News
Weather Fair 81.0°F (47%)
Mason 4-H Seeks Donations for the Food Bank
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 • Posted November 11, 2009

The Mason 4-H Club will be canvassing the neighborhoods once again on Sunday, November 15 from 3-5 p.m. The 4-H members will meet at the Extension office (in the Historical Building, behind the City swimming pool) and load up onto flatbed trailers with bales of hay to sit on.

If you’re in 4-H or would like to be, please meet us to help out! Wear a 4-H t-shirt if you have one. If we have enough to send out two trailers, we will make it a competition between the two groups.

We had a great time last year and collected about 25 boxes of food, thanks to the generosity of the Mason community. This year the Food Bank is being run differently, so we are changing up our process a little. The Food Bank is no longer able to survive on donations, so the Ministerial Alliance purchases most of the food they give out now from the Concho Valley Food Bank, which costs about 80 percent less than we can purchase it at the grocery store.

The Mason 4-H Club is asking for donations to help run the Mason Food Bank. While they will still accept and appreciate your canned food donations, they are now asking instead for money donations. Just look at it this way: if you spent a dollar to buy something for the food bank, you’d be lucky to get two cans of food, if they were on sale. If you give the Food Bank that dollar, they can get 6 or 7 cans of food for that same dollar!

Each family the Mason Food Bank serves receives a huge box of food once a month, and it costs about $15 to provide all of that food, including several packages of meat! The Food Bank usually distributes about 80 boxes of food EVERY month.

Please help us help the Food Bank by donating anything you can. If you want the 4-Hers to come to your house specifically, please call the Extension office by Friday, November 13th at 347-6459 so we can make sure to get to your house. If you’d just like to make a donation for the Food Bank, you can bring it by the Extension office (mornings are best to catch us) or give it to any Pastor or Priest and they can pass it on to the Ministerial Alliance.

This article has been read 71 times.
Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of Mason County News. Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.
Comments powered by Disqus