Better than Fast Food
Do you or a member of your family LOVE chicken nuggets? Try these for a better tasting, cheaper, and better for you version! This recipes comes from a great website and blog I just found from Iowa Extension: the name of it is Eat Better. Spend Better. Lots of GREAT information!
Makes 5 servings (2 strips each)
Cost: $2.75 for whole recipe/ $0.55 per person
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 cup nonfat milk
4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon honey or jelly
Black pepper to taste
1 cup crushed pretzels or cereal*
Optional: Light ranch dressing, mustard, or any barbeque sauce can be used as dipping sauces.
1. Put 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar in a 1/2-cup measure and fill with milk. Stir and let set 10 minutes to thicken.
2. Cut chicken breasts into a total of 10 strips.
3. In a bowl combine mustard, 2 tablespoons vinegar, honey or jelly, and pepper. Stir in the milk-vinegar mixture. Add chicken and stir to coat pieces with the milk mixture. Cover and let set for 20 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 400*F.
5. Lightly grease or spray a baking sheet or shallow baking pan.
6. One at a time, lift chicken strips from milk mixture and coat with crushed pretzels or cereal; place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken and crumbs.
7. Bake chicken 18 to 20 minutes until thoroughly cooked. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per 2 strips: 240 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 270 mg sodium, 80 mg cholesterol, 18 g carbohydrate, <1 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 31 g protein, 0% vitamin A; 10% iron; 0% vitamin C; 6% calcium.