The goal to perform "Harvey" at the 2010 One Act State Meet was achieved on Saturday, May 8, at 10:00 p.m. in the Hogg Auditorium on the UT campus. The Mason HS one act company took the stage and performed the show for a wonderful audience and one single judge. We were the final play to perform. Immediately following, at the awards ceremony, the contest manager announced that 327 Conference 1A schools entered one act plays this year. We were honored to be one of the eight plays that performed at the state meet. We were thrilled to receive the 2nd runner up trophy and be the #1 comedy in the conference. Over three thousand Class 1A students competed this year in one acts. Only nineteen State individual awards were given. Mason received three of them! Best Actress – Star Longoria; Honorable All-Star Cast – Matt Banner and Jacob Bibb.
Our journey began in November with auditions. The students were focused and committed to the work at hand. Their commitment and our Mason community’s wonderful support is the reason that we met our journey’s goal - To perform at State. We’d like to thank the following:
* The families of the one act cast/crew
* The Mason community who helped us prepare by attending our show
* Mason ISD personnel
* Larry Smith and Paul Smith – our bus drivers
* Mark Hahn – our Scenery Trailer driver
* Country Collectables
* Fredericksburg Theater Company
* Mane Attraction
* Mason County Courthouse
* Mason County News
* Petal Patch
* Attorney Jack Lee
* Attorney Gerald Geistweidt (who was the Best Actor/Samuel FrenchRecipient at the State Meet in 1966)
* And Harvey who inspired us by making an appearance at our lastpool rehearsal in Austin!
There’s a wonderful quote: "It takes a village to raise I child".
We’d like to add: "It takes a community to put on a one act play!"
Mason High School One Act Players and Directors Dawn Hahn and Merlina Gamel