In April of this year, the doors to what is known as "the little church on the hill" were opened once again to the Hispanic community of Mason. The doors to this church were closed in 2005, but the ministry of God kept on in the houses of its faithful members. Every Wednesday evening, Bible Study was held, followed by fellowship, in these homes.
Prayers were answered when Pastor Arthur Nelms of Kerrville felt the call to come to Mason and open these doors once again. This church, which is located at 710 Ft. McKavett Street (between Zavala’s Restaurant and Town & Country) was previously known as Primera Iglesia Bautista.
Rev. Nelms, was raised in Old Mexico, (Saltillo, Coah.) from the age of 4 years to 14 years of age. He was the son of Baptist missionaries to Old Mexico. There he learned to read and write fluent Spanish. Before coming to Mason Pastor Nelms pastored Oak Park Baptist Church in Kerrville. He has two sons, Arthur, Jr., who recently came back from Iraq and just recently moved to Round Rock with his family; and Charlie, who has just taken a new job as president of a bank in Horseshoe Bay.
Pastor Nelms and his congregation invite the community to the bilingual services held as follows:
Bible School – 10 a.m.
Worship – 11 a.m.
Evening Worship – 6 p.m.
Bible Study – 6:30 p.m.
The first ever Baptist Hispanic mission was opened in 1956, with its first founding member being Mrs. Eleno (Rita) Castillo, followed by other family members. This church was located on the north side of town. When this mission closed its doors Mrs. Castillo and her family moved their attendance to First Baptist Church. In 1983 First Baptist bought the little church on the hill to serve the Hispanic community.
The history of this little church on the hill began on July 5, 1887, when David Doole bought the property for $10 and built the church. In 1957 the beautiful windows and columns were installed. The property was then donated by David Doole to the Presbyterian Order. In 1971 the property was donated to Mason Pentecostal Church. First Baptist Church then purchased it for $20,000 in 1983, and since then has served as a Baptist Spanish mission in the community. For the first time in its history the mission has been established as a church and will be known as Iglesia Bautista "El Divino Salvador".
This Saturday, August 7, there will be a live youth concert and drama (Ad elsewhere in the paper) presented in the parking lot of the church, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Rev. Nelms and his congregation invite the community and its youth to come and experience this powerful time of praise and worship. Free hot dogs and Dr. Pepper will be served.