I am going to start this with an excerpt from Kay Trostle’s email of 10/3/10:
We concluded the hearing yesterday around noon. The initial brief (limited to 15 pages) is due Monday, November 15th, and reply brief (limited to 7 pages) is due November 22nd. The Judges indicated they intend to get their Proposal for Decision (PFD) issued by Christmas week (December 20 - 23). We will have 7-8 days to file exceptions to the PFD, and another week to file replies to other parties’ exceptions (which means over Christmas/New Year’s). The PUC must decide the case no later than Monday, January 24th, so I expect the open meeting at which the case will be finally decided by the commissioners will be held no later than the week of January 17 - 21. The PUC has already scheduled Open Meetings on January 13th and 20th (but they are always subject to change) and in my experience they are likely to put this docket on both of those dates to give the commissioners plenty of time to deliberate. We will know the date(s) of the Open Meetings once the PFD is issued. I strongly recommend that at least some of you attend the Open Meeting.
While I continue to believe the great weight of the evidence supports approval of one of the southern routes - most likely along one of the numerous variations to MK15, the P-Lines are still recommended, if only as an alternative, by several intervenors - including CVA; Segrest/Whichard; and Kerr Co., Kerrville PUB, City Kerrville. So, we have to make certain the Judges give weight to our testimony against selection of the P-Lines and/or find favor with the evidence in support of any other route.
Kay filed her initial brief yesterday and I thought did an outstanding job of not only stating a sound legal and technical case but did a good job of voicing the concerns of individuals and the local community in our objection to this line being built. If you want to read her brief give us a call and we will get you a copy. Hopefully the extensive paperwork and court deadlines are now behind us.
We are still vulnerable to getting blindsided by political pressure that could result in a decision that comes from outside of the intervention process. We will continue to prod the powers to be to make sure that are side is heard. If you can help please call Ron Crocker @ 325-347-6378, Lee McMillan @ 325-347-6683, or Lee Lasater @ 325-347-9400.