AUSTIN, Texas—The community clubs of Lone Grove and Castell both received gifts from the Texas Historical Foundation to assist in the upkeep and renovation of historic schoolhouses that are now being used as gathering places in these small towns.
The Lone Grove Community Club will use THF funds for expenses associated with the upkeep of the Lone Grove School, built in 1909. Repairs to the building were last made in 1956, and the schoolhouse is in need of extensive improvement.
The Castell Community Club received a grant to cover the cost and transportation of a replica school bell to replace the original bell that was removed when the school closed 75 years ago. This is the second gift that THF has made to the Castell group. In 2007, the Foundation, which has a focus on rural preservation, awarded a grant to help restore and renovate the historic building. According to Tom Doell, president of THF and owner of a ranch in Mason, the assistance was given because of the important stories these historic school houses played in Texas history.
"These schools were the place where many Hill Country students received their earliest education. Those pupils went on to become well-informed and productive citizens of the Lone Star State, so the THF board sees this as a way to honor their stories."
Since 1954, the Texas Historical Foundation has funded preservation and education projects around the state and helps promote the cultural legacy of Texas. Among the group’s main efforts is its award-winning HERITAGE magazine and a preservation grants program. For more information, or to join the Foundation, use the on-line membership form found on the organization’s website, www.texashistoricalfoundation.org.