Mason County News
Weather Fair 81.0°F (47%)
Noninsured Assistance Program - NAP
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 • Posted November 17, 2010

LIVESTOCK PRODUCERS: The Farm Service Agency (FSA) is reminding livestock producers that All future Livestock Feed Programs now require Livestock producers to have NAP or RI-PRF coverage on their pastures to be eligible for possible Livestock Feed Programs. Producers can now have both NAP and Rainfall Insurance and earn a payment under both. This is a change from previous years. Livestock Feed Programs are now permanent legislation. Randy Maenius, CED stated a series of continued drought conditions exhibited during the year will activate the Livestock Feed Program, once the county becomes approved, NAP producers will be contacted and applications will begin to be accepted and paid.

Maenius stated the Non-Insured Assistance Program (NAP) and Livestock Feed programs (LFP) were designed to help reduce risk and financial losses to ranchers when natural disasters cause a loss of production. LFP requires an acreage report; RI producers are reminded to file an acreage report on their grasses by July 15,

The application deadline date for the 2011 NAP coverage on native and improved grasses for all intended uses (grazing, hay, or seed), is December 1, 2010. NAP coverage costs $250 per crop, but not more than $750 per producer per county, or not more than $1875 total per producer for all counties. Appointments for 2011 NAP signup are being taken. Contact the county office at 325-347-5740 and schedule an appointment to sign up for 2011 NAP—today!

Producers who had coverage on 2010 NAP crops may choose to continue coverage on the same crop or crops for 2011, if the applicable service fee is submitted by the application closing date of December 1, 2010 and to avoid a late file acreage report fee, the acreage report is completed by December 16, 2010.

NAP coverage is also a requirement for all noninsurable yield based (hay, grass seed, watermelons etc) crops in order to qualify for benefits received under the Supplemental Revenue Assistance (SURE) program. Any mechanically harvested or hand harvested crops must have crop insurance or NAP coverage to remain eligible for the SURE program.


This article has been read 105 times.
Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of Mason County News. Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.
Comments powered by Disqus