* The board approved Kristy Powell as an adjunct faculty member and recognized 4-H under extra-curricular status. Once new county agent is hired, we will approve that person.
* Employee and student handbooks were presented and changes were discussed.
* Superintendent’s report—A) Transportation will not be provided to daycare facilities. With reduction in number of bus routes, space must be reserved for students who meet qualifications as route students.B) Enrollment report-Head Start 15; PK-4 249; 5-8 202; 9-12 199; Total 660C) TAKS scores comparison-chart was shown comparing last three years’ scores. Even though we dropped to recognized rating Math scores were only 1% (96% down to 95%) lower than last year, Science scores were only 3% different(92% down to 89%), Reading/ELA were the same at 97%, Social Studies dropped from 100% to 97% passing and Writing scores stayed the same at 99%.
* The 2011-12 budget was approved.
* Tax rate was set @$1.1375
* The board discussed future budgetary plans. Prior plans to build a new Jr. High wing have been put on hold until it is determined how much will be cut from next year’s funding. At the present, it appears that the cuts made will sustain us through the 2012-13 school year. The board plans to attempt to maintain the current staff and facilities for the benefit of our students.
* MISD presented a certificate of appreciation to Lynn Farris of KNEL radio as a member of the TASB (Texas Association of School Boards) Media Honor Roll. Gerry Gamel was also to receive a certificate, but could not attend the meeting due to prior engagement.
* The district held a reapportionment hearing to review plans for redistricting. Sara Leon, the school’s attorney, presented two models for review. The board will be asked to make a decision regarding the new districts in a future meeting.
* The three year lease of the building housing Mason County Appraisal District was approved.
* The board went into executive session at 7:12 p.m. and reconvened in open session at 7:17 p.m.
* Due to the late resignation of former technology teacher and lack of qualified applicants to fill the position, the board approved a local permit for Brian Rasberry to teach Technology Applications.
* The next board meeting was scheduled for September 19th @ 6:00 p.m.
* The board adjourned at 7:30 p.m.