Members of the Fort Mason Committee announced the arrival of a reprint of Margaret Bierschwale's work on the Fort, Chapter 5 in her 1986 book on Mason County. The 48-page booklet describes Fort Mason from its establishment in July 1851 to its closing in 1869. The detailed, but brief, history book can be purchased at the library and the Square Museum.Soldiers were well fed for the "post had fair rations. Hunts were made frequently and fresh meat killed by the soldiers, such as turkeys, wild shoats, birds and deer any season. Beef was brought from the farmers and stockraisers in the community, or from Fredericksburg and Burnet. These included: Henry Behrens, Peter Birk, Frederick Henry Hicks (who eventually purchased the fort property), Henry Leifeste, Conrad Pluenneke, C. B. Starks, Philip Simon, Logan Vandeveer, and Fred Van der Stucken."