Spring is in the air in Fredericksburg. Bluebonnets in full bloom and Historic Schools await you on the Country Schools Driving Trail. Take a drive into the countryside and enjoy the sights.The Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools are celebrating the 13th anniversary of their founding by having five schools open for viewing Saturday March 31, 2012, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Featured are Williams Creek (Albert), Lower South Grape Creek, Luckenbach, Grapetown, and Meusebach Creek Schools.Williams Creek (Albert) School is located at 5501South Ranch road 1623. Log cabin built 1891, present building built in 1897. Join in on some horseshoe pitching, cards and dominos, do a tour, hear the history of the school. This is one of the schools on the tour that has a canvas curtain used at their school closing plays. Call 830-644-2651 for more info.Lower South Grape Creek School located at 10273 East US Highway 290. Log cabin built in 1871; the present day school was built at a new location in1900. This school is located in the heart of the wine country, which is today’s 2nd fastest growing industry in the nation. Call 830-997-6214 for more info.Luckenbach School located at 3566 Luckenbach Road. First log schoolhouse built in 1855 with native limestone addition added in 1881. A new limestone school was built in 1905. See the cistern where the students got their drinking water. This school is also rich in history of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Call 830-997-8455 for more info.Grapetown School located at 7325 Old San Antonio Road. Frederick W Doebbler donated a three room stone house to the community in 1859 to be used as a schoolhouse. During the years schools were built at different locations. The present one room school was built in 1884. With a need for a teacherage, one was built in 1886 located next door to the school. This school also has a Canvas Curtain. Call 830-997-7298 for more info. Meusebach Creek School located at 515 Kuhlmann Road. The first building was built in the mid 1860’s on the Fritz Lochte property near the Meusebach Creek. Three more schools were built during the years as more children were in the community. The present school was built during the 1930’s. This school is located in the “peach country” and has just had a lot of improvements made along with a new coat of paint. Call 830-997-5755 for more info. Docents will greet you at the schools with stories of the past and present use of the Historic Schools. Refreshments available. Save the date Saturday March 31, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.Then on Sunday April 1, join us for an Old-Fashioned Country Pork and Chicken Barbecue at the American Legion Hall, 87 S in Fredericksburg. Live music by the Polkamatics. Prize drawing on Sunday.For more information, go online www.historicschools.org. Maps and travel info are available at the Fredericksburg Visitors Center, 302 East Austin Street, and printable maps at VisitFredericksburgTx.com.