I was reviewing a publication that the Texas AgriLife Extension Specialists just updated called “Altering Recipes for Good Health” and this was what jumped out at me. I LOVE whipped cream and we all use canned cream soups all of the time, so I thought these no fat versions were recipes worth sharing here. I use non fat dry milk powder all of the time in smoothies and cooking. If you would like a copy of the whole publication, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can email you one, or call the Extension office and we will mail you a paper copy!
To save money as well as calories, make your own healthy substitutes by using the recipes that follow.
No-Fat Whipped Topping
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons boiling water
½ cup non-fat dry milk powdera cup ice water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
2. In a thoroughly chilled small bowl, beat milk and ice water.
3. Beat in lemon juice.
4. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat to soft peaks.
5. Add gelatin mixture and beat.
Yield: about 1½ cups
Calories: 12 per tablespoon
Casserole Sauce Mix
Use this recipe instead of canned cream soups in casserole recipes. It has about one-third the calories.
2 cups non-fat dry milk powder¾ cup cornstarch
¼ cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon
½ teaspoon dried crushed thyme
½ teaspoon dried crushed basil
¼ teaspoon pepper
1. Combine all ingredients using a blender or food processor. Store in an airtight container.
2. To prepare a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together a cup dry mix and 1¼ cups water in a saucepan.
3. Cook and stir until thickened.
Yield: Equivalent to 9 cans condensed soup
Calories: 107 per cup of dry mix
Fat: 1 gram
Did You Know?
You can use reduced-fat sour cream, low-fat or non-fat yogurt, or cottage cheese (blend it in the blender if you want it smooth) instead of regular sour cream in sauces and dips. Skim milk can be used instead of whole milk in most recipes. Evaporated milk can be substituted for whipping cream, and evaporated skim milk can be substituted for regular evaporated milk in some recipes.