If you have zucchini (or yellow squash) running out your ears right about now, try some of these quick recipes from “Fruit and Veggies: More Matters”. Drizzling lengthwise slices with some olive oil and a few spices, then grilling them for a couple of minutes on each side is also a delicious and healthy way to use up those squash!
Zucchini Au Gratin
Fresh zucchini is given a boost of flavor in this easy recipe. Also, it’s an excellent source of Vitamin C!
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
· 4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
· 1/2 cup onion, sliced
· 2 Tbsp water
· 1 Tbsp margarine
· pepper to taste
· 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Wash and slice vegetables. Place zucchini, onion, water, margarine, and pepper in a frying pan. Cover and cook over medium heat for one minute.
2. Remove cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Turn with large spoon to cook evenly.
4. Sprinkle with cheese; toss lightly.
Zesty Skillet Zucchini
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
· ½ cup Tomato juice, low sodium
· ¼ tsp Black pepper
· 1 Onion, medium
· 1 Tomato, medium
· 1 cup Mushrooms, canned, rinsed and drained
· 2 Zucchini, medium
· 1 tsp Basil
Peel and chop the onion into small pieces. Chop the tomato. Drain and rinse the mushrooms. Cut zucchini into small slices. Place the tomato juice and pepper in a skillet or pan.
Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the onion, tomato, and mushrooms. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini.
Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
This coleslaw is a treat for the eyes and the taste buds. The bright colors make an attractive dish for the dinner table, laced with a little extra kick!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
· 2 cups zucchini, coursely shredded
· 2 cups cabbage, shredded
· 1 medium carrot, shredded
· 2 green onions, sliced
· 1/2 cup radishes, thinly sliced
· 1/3 cup mayonnaise, fat-free
· 1/2 cup mild salsa
Drain zucchini by pressing between layers of paper towels. Put zucchini in large bowl. Add cabbage, carrots, onions, and radishes. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour over vegetables and toss well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.