With the increasing number of confirmed West Nile Virus cases and fatalities, The City of Mason is requesting all citizens take steps to prevent the exposure of mosquitos. People of all ages and conditions may be affected.
Breeding sources consist of standing water. All mosquitoes need water to complete their life cycle. The most successful way to prevent mosquitos is to eliminate places where they breed:
• Eliminate standing water around homes and property
• Keep lawns and lots mowed and brush cleared since mosquitoes are likely to be found in high grass and weeds.
• Keep rain gutters free of leaves and debris.
• Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets.
• Maintain swimming pools so that water does not become stagnant.
• Empty and refill pets’ water bowls daily.
• Check and empty water from old tires and turn buckets and other containers upside down to prevent water from collecting.
Protect you and your family from mosquitoes by remembering the Four Ds:
1. DRAIN standing water around the home and property
2. DUSK/DAWN are the primary times of day mosquitos are more active, so avoid outside activities during these times when possible.
3. DRESS in long sleeves, pants and socks when outside. Spray clothing with insect repellent.
4. DEET is one of the most important ingredients in an insect repellent. The higher the percentage of DEET, the longer lasting protection it will provide. Insect repellents containing Picardin or Oil of Lemon may also be used.
City of Mason mosquito spraying route
We will start spraying between the hours of 8:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. Please stay indoors during these and times. We want to thank everyone for their cooperation in advance in keeping Mason safe!!!
Thursday August 30, 2012, we will be spraying the south side of Mason, streets are:
· Austin, Fuchsia, Willow, Hackberry, Schuessler, Fir, Oak, Pine, Orange, East Rainey, Post Oak, East Kettner, South Live Oak, Schmidt, Magnolia, Smith, Steapp Ln, Hofman, City park, Landfill road.
Friday August 31, 2012, we will spray south East side of Mason streets are:
· Spruce, West Rainey, Post Hill, Wilson Elm, Pecan, Wheeler, Coolidge, College, Bryan, Short, Moody, Westmorland, Lee, Howard, Merrill, Reagan, Martin, Herman, Ischar, Stengel, Ritter, Lemberg, Hooten, Leifeste, Mebus, Whitney, Collins, South Ave D, South Ave C, South Ave B, and South Ave A.
Tuesday September 4, 2012, we will spray the North West side of Mason streets are:
· Cardinal, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinely, El Paso, Ave F, Doole, Church, Doell, Fort McKavitt, Carter, Koocksville, Spring, Millard, Forsythia, Broad, Robin, Bluebird, Olmos, Fulton, and Pecan.
Wednesday September 5, 2012, we will spray the North East side of Mason streets are:
· Starling, Balsam, Sharla, Bluebonnet, Mulberry, Wax Wing, Meadowlark, Colorado, Nueces, Pontotoc, Loving, Hawkins, Bridge, Gooch, Rack, Hey, McCollum, Cedar, Morrow, Bickenbach, Robinson, Comanche, Sabine, Brazos, Mesquite, and South Live Oak.