Thought it was appropriate to share the recipe for this yummy, good for you snack. Don’t throw out the seeds when you are carving your jack o’lantern!
Make sure to check out the various different flavors you can use.
Ingredients: Seeds of one pumpkin and salt.
1. Extract sees from pumpkin.
2. Separate and discard pulp.
3. Thoroughly wash seeds in warm water.
4. Spread seeds out onto a cookie sheet.
5. Sprinkle generously with salt.
6. Put into oven and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
7. Check every five minutes and stir, adding more salt or to taste.
8. Check seeds to see if they are done by taking a sample out, allowing to cool and tasting. If the insides are dry, they are done.
9. Allow to cool and serve. Some people eat the whole thing, and some people only eat the inside of the pumpkin seed. I’m thinking you’ll get more fiber and a lot less mess if you just eat them whole!
There is no rocket science required here. You can make as many different flavors of pumpkin seeds as you can imagine. Replace the salt from the recipe above with the suggested seasoning. Here are some we suggest you try:
- Cheesy Pumpkin Seeds- sprinkle with Cheesy popcorn seasoning.
- Tex-Mex Style- Sprinkle powdered Taco seasoning onto the seeds. This is better mixed in a bowl first. Add more red pepper powder for a really hot seed!
- Cajun style- Mix seeds in a bowl with a packet of cajun seasonings mix. If you like it really spicy, add extra hot sauce.
- Garlic Salt- yum!
Hint: Want more ideas? Just think about the flavors of popcorn and give it a try!
Serving Tips and Suggestions:
- Try using reduced salt for an even healthier snack.
- Leftover seeds can be kept fresh in an airtight container or frozen for extended periods.
Source: www.pumpkinnook.com - they have A LOT of pumpkin recipes, and you know pumpkin is really good for you!